If you are contemplating a pregnancy, preconception counseling may be an option for you. Planning involves a detailed discussion with a knowledgeable preconception doctor to discuss concerns about a potential pregnancy.
At the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Center at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, our specialists are experienced in providing information and counseling services to couples, and we can help you move ahead with your plans to expand your family.
You may be wondering if counseling is the right thing for you and your family. Here is what you can expect to discuss with your health care provider during a preconception meeting:
- Overall health of both partners and any underlying medical or surgical concerns
- Previous pregnancy or infertility concerns
- Medication use
- Immunization and infectious history
- Family histories, including genetic disorders
- Concerns regarding exposure to any chemicals that may affect your pregnancy
Our staff includes doctors in many different areas of maternal and fetal health, including expert genetic counselors, and maternal-fetal medicine specialists. For patients who live with chronic conditions requiring a daily medication regimen, our reproductive toxicologist can help determine the potential exposure of the fetus to the medications, and the risks and benefits of continuing your medication.