Nicola London, MD with the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System
As a woman ages, her body undergoes tremendous changes that may require gynecological surgery. Some experience abnormal or excessive uterine bleeding, chronic pelvic pain, or medical challenges associated with uterine cysts or fibroids, endometriosis, and pelvic prolapse. Our team is committed to developing a personalized care plan for each individual patient, accounting for these challenges, or any others she is experiencing, and the ways they may be impacting her lifestyle.
Robotic Surgery in Gynecology
In some cases, our gynecological experts determine that the best possible solution is to undergo a hysterectomy; surgical removal of the uterus. For many women, the pain, discomfort and extended time away from normal daily activities that usually follow traditional gynecologic surgery can cause significant anxiety. Having surgeons on our team who are trained and experienced in the use of robotic technology to perform these procedures makes MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center a premier choice for women’s health care in Baltimore and beyond.
Our gynecologists specialize in minimally invasive and robotic surgery . This approach allows our physicians' high-definition 3D vision and a magnified view, translating the surgeon’s hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body.
Nicola London, MD
Board certified in obstetrics and gynecology, Dr. London has been recognized for five consecutive years by Baltimore magazine as one of the area’s “Top Docs.” After earning her degree from the University of Maryland Medical School, she went on to complete her internship and residency training at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center before officially joining the organization’s medical staff in 1997. Dr. London is a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and also serves as an Associate Professor at the University of Maryland’s medical and nursing schools.
“The pelvis can be hard to get to … but not with the robot! It allows me to perform very intricate, targeted surgeries. The technology helps us be better surgeons. We are improving patient safety and outcomes, because we have better equipment.
Dr. Matlaga serves as Associate Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at MedStar Franklin Square and Medical Director of the White Square Obstetrics & Gynecology practice. She specializes in obstetrics and gynecological medicine for women from adolescence to post-menopause. Dr. Matlaga has extensive experience in high-risk obstetrics and minimally invasive surgery including laparoscopic and robotic surgery. She received her medical degree from Yale University.
“Over 90 percent of my patients go home the day of surgery. For patients who prefer to recover at home and return to daily activities sooner, robotic surgery is an excellent choice.”
Our technology, as well as our approach to treatment, is tailored to the specific needs of each individual patient. We offer the greatest level of comfort and minimally invasive techniques, which reduce recovery time and minimize hospital stays. Areas of expertise include:
- Colposcopy: a procedure used to examine your cervix, vagina, and vulva for signs of disease
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP): one of the most frequently used approaches to treat high grade cervical dysplasia
- Cystoscopy: a test that allows your doctor to look at the inside of the bladder and the urethra using a thin, lighted instrument called a cystoscope
- Urodynamics: a diagnostic study of pressure in the bladder that can be used in explaining and treating incontinence
- Hysteroscopy: a procedure that allows your doctor to look inside your uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding
- Minimally invasive hysterectomy: the removal of the uterus
- Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE): a minimally invasive treatment involving the injection of microscopic particles into particular targeted arteries to selectively block blood flow to the fibroids, causing the fibroids themselves to gradually and consistently shrink over time
We also offer quality-of-life evaluations for bladder dysfunctions, including bladder training, vaginal surgeries, and sacral stimulator treatments for severe incontinence that has not responded to other therapies.
- Gynecology Services
- Incontinence and Pelvic Surgery
- Obstetrics and Pregnancy Services
- Recommended Health Screenings for Women
- Robotic Surgery FAQs