da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center’s Comprehensive Robotic Surgical Program offers highly trained experts whose skills are enhanced by the use of the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System. Our surgeons have more than 20 years of experience combined, and perform a variety of complex surgeries robotically—from colorectal and urologic to gynecologic, thoracic, and bariatric procedures.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a condition that may require surgery, you owe it to yourself to learn about all of your medical options, including one of the most effective, least invasive surgical treatments, robotic surgery.
The da Vinci® Surgical Robot System is a state-of-the-art technology, designed by Intuitive Surgical, an American corporation that develops, manufactures, and markets robotic products designed to improve clinical outcomes through streamlining and simplifying many complex surgical procedures.
Using a small 3D camera, instruments that are the size of a dime, and a surgeon-controlled console, the system provides your doctor with superior visualization and greater range of motion.
From a seated position at the console, your surgeon can position his or her eyes and hands in alignment with the robotic system’s camera and instruments, to operate with extreme precision. Your physician is 100 percent in control of the robotic surgical system the entire time.
How the da Vinci® Surgical Robot Works
The da Vinci system is a sophisticated robotic platform designed to expand a surgeon's capabilities. It overcomes the limitations of both traditional open surgery and conventional minimally invasive surgery.
The da Vinci® robot system allows the surgeon to make precise, delicate motions while controlling the machine. The robot is not making decisions or performing incisions. The surgeon is telling the robot what to do, and the robot allows for greater precision than the human hand on its own. This adds numerous benefits for patients as well, including smaller incisions and faster recovery time.
The da Vinci® robotic surgery system includes the following equipment, designed to make the robotic surgery as precise as possible:
- Patient cart with four interactive robotic arms. The robotic arms include the surgical instruments and high-definition camera. Your surgeon will place the instruments and camera inside the surgery site in order to operate.
- Surgeon's console. This is where your surgeon sits to direct the surgery. It is in the same room that you are in, a few feet away from the operating table. Inside the console is a screen, which provides enhanced, real-time 3-D images of the operating site. Your surgeon can see the operating field even better than if he or she were standing over you.
- Endowrist instruments. These instruments control the surgery. The instruments inside your body respond precisely to the movements your surgeon makes at the console.
First, the surgeon makes tiny incisions in the body and then inserts miniaturized instruments and a high-definition three-dimensional camera. Then, from a nearby console, the surgeon manipulates those instruments to perform the operation. Like a video game which translates the player's movements into real-time movement on the screen, the da Vinci robotic surgery system responds to the physician's input.
Types of Surgery Performed with da Vinci® Surgical Robot
A variety of complex surgeries can be performed robotically, including:
It can also be used for general surgery procedures, including:
Learn more about robotic surgery at MedStar Franklin Square:
For a physician referral, please call 443-777-7900.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
9000 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237
- How Does Robotic Surgery Differ From Laparoscopic Surgery?
- Robotic Surgery
- Benefits of Robotic Surgery
- Robotic Surgery FAQs
- Robotic Surgery Treatments