A graphic depicting the difference in incisions between open surgery and surgery using the da Vinci surgical system. (Image via da Vinci)
Has your MedStar Surgeon recommended robotic surgery? If so, you may wonder what benefits robotic surgery provides over traditional open surgery techniques. MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center’s Comprehensive Robotic Surgical Program offers highly trained experts whose skills are enhanced by the use of the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System. Our surgeons have more than 20 years of experience combined and perform a variety of complex surgeries robotically—from colorectal and urologic to gynecologic, thoracic and bariatric procedures.
Benefits of Robotic Surgery
Robotic surgery is a form of laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery in which a computer-controlled robot assists your MedStar surgeon during the procedure. The robot provides your surgeon with an increased level of dexterity and allows them to operate in small spaces inside your body that would otherwise require open surgery. Compared to traditional open surgery, robotic surgery results in smaller incisions, which reduce pain and scarring, lead to less time spent in the hospital and quicker recovery times.
However, it doesn’t only provide benefits to the patient. Your surgeon also greatly benefits from robotic surgery, gaining enhanced precision, flexibility, control and vision. It also allows your surgeon to perform very delicate or complex surgical procedures that may have been very difficult or even impossible without the aid of the robot.
For the patient, the benefits of robotic surgery include:
- More precise surgery. Often, your surgeon needs to operate near healthy, sensitive organs, tissues and nerves. The goal of surgery is to remove the abnormality without affecting surrounding healthy structures. The small size and flexibility of the robotic instruments makes this easier to accomplish.
- Significantly less pain.
- Less risk of infection and blood loss. Your surgeon makes tiny incisions rather than large ones, lowering the risk of infection or blood loss.
- Earlier discharge from the hospital. Generally, patients can go home earlier following a robotic surgery, sometimes even the next day.
- Less scarring and shorter recovery. The smaller incisions also mean that your recovery period is shorter. Sometimes, recovery may last just a few days.
- In many cases, better clinical outcomes.
For the surgeon, the benefits of robotic surgery include:
- An enhanced visual field. At the console, your surgeon has a superior view of the operating area. The high-definition camera provides a magnified, detailed view of the affected area. Your surgeon can see the microscopic structures more clearly, leading to a more precise surgery.
- Superior dexterity. A human hand can only move so much. But the robotic instrument exceeds the dexterity and range of motion of the human hand. The arms can rotate a full 360 degrees. This allows your surgeon to operate in a way that would be impossible without the robot.
- Access to hard-to-reach places. The enhanced flexibility and precision of the robot allows your surgeon to access hard-to-reach areas. This means surgeons can treat more conditions with robotic surgery.
Learn more about robotic surgery at MedStar Franklin Square:
For a physician referral, please call 443-777-7900.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
9000 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237
- Robotic Surgery
- How Does Robotic Surgery Differ From Laparoscopic Surgery?
- da Vinci® Surgical Robot
- Robotic Surgery FAQs
- Robotic Surgery Treatments