MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center offers Impulse Oscillometry for patients as young as two years old.
At MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center, our Pulmonary Function Lab has leading diagnostic technology to accurately evaluate lung function for both inpatients and outpatients. We offer services, including Impulse Oscillometry, for patients as young as two years old and can typically schedule an appointment within a week.
Reasons for a Pulmonary Function Study
There are several reasons why your physician may prescribe a pulmonary function study. These can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Neuromuscular disease
- Interstitial disease
- Cardiac disease
- History of smoking
- Environmental exposure
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Preoperative testing
Types of Testing
Your physician will prescribe which type of testing is bested suited to meet your diagnostic needs. This can include:
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- Lung volumes
- Arterial blood gas sampling
- Diffusion studies
- Pulse oximetry
- Maximum inspiratory pressure
- Ambulating saturation, documented by Medicare guidelines
- Maximum expiratory pressure
- Impulse oscillometry
The Pulmonary Function Lab is pleased to offer the latest in pulmonary diagnostic technology, including a system that performs Impulse Oscillometry. This new test, which can be performed on patients as young as two years old to geriatric patients, is easier on the patient and offers several advantages.
- Allows for more exact testing not only in major airways, but in peripheral airways as well
- Differentiates between obstructions in the central and peripheral airways, allowing for more effective treatment
- Allows patients are able to breathe normally and carry out all other body functions during testing
- Reduces or eliminates anxiety during testing
- Can be used on patients of any age - from children as young as two years old to adults and geriatric patients
So we may accommodate you in a timely manner, please enter the Outpatient Entrance and register at the Admitting Office 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. Wheelchairs are available if needed.
Please bring your prescription with you and contact your insurance carrier as a referral may be needed.
Please refrain from smoking 12 hours prior to testing and do not use any inhalers 4 hours prior to testing.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 443-777-7325.