At MedStar Health, we offer the most advanced care and treatment for hip conditions. One of our top priorities is to educate you on the details of your condition, addressing all questions and concerns you have. We promise to advise you and your family on a treatment plan that includes the most effective approaches and a variety of procedures that benefit you with faster recovery times, better pain management, and more precise surgery, if necessary.
Arthritis of the Hip
Arthritis is an inflammation of the tissues that cushion the joints where your bones meet. This inflammation can cause pain, swelling, and joint damage. Your hip joints are especially vulnerable to arthritis, which includes
- Osteoarthritis: The natural aging process can wear away at the cartilage between the bones at joints, causing inflammation and pain. It commonly affects hips.
- Post-traumatic arthritis: This form of osteoarthritis develops after you experience an injury to the hip. It can develop years after your injury occurs.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: This immune system dysfunction attacks and wears away at the cartilage lining between the bones in your joints. You generally experience rheumatoid arthritis on both sides of your body, so it would affect both hips.
Advanced arthritis in the hip can make it difficult to walk and perform many other basic daily activities. Hip replacement surgery can provide relief from arthritis symptoms, and the expert orthopaedic hip replacement surgeons at MedStar Health offer a wide range of advanced treatment and surgical options for all types of advanced hip arthritis.
Hip arthritis symptoms generally include:
- Stiffness in the hip area, including the thighs and groin
- Pain in the hip area
- Difficulty moving the hip in different directions
- Difficulty walking