Thomas Faust, MD, a liver specialist at the MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute, specializes in the treatment of all kinds of liver diseases. Dr. Faust also sees patients at MedStar Franklin Square. Learn more about Dr. Faust and the unique liver disease treatment options available at MedStar Health, in the video below:
The liver is the largest internal organ and one of the most complex. It produces chemicals to cleanse the body of waste and purifies the blood that passes through it. Diseases that compromise the liver's function, then, can have a huge impact on your quality of life.
The good news is that MedStar Health's liver disease specialists offer comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for all types of acute and chronic liver disease, including:
- Acute hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E
- Chronic hepatitis B and C
- Metabolic disorders of iron and copper (hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease)
- Drug-induced liver injury
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver (NAFL) and Steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Chronic cholestatic syndromes and other causes of jaundice, such as:
- Primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC)
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)
- Jaundice: yellowing of the eyes, darkening of the urine
- Itching: bile does not drain appropriately, so left over bile salts can lead to itching
- Fatigue: liver can no longer convert nutrients or store vitamins, leaving your energy level low
- Fluid retention: the diseased liver cannot use protein in the body, leading to fluid buildup
- Bleeding problems: the diseased liver cannot make those materials needed for blood clotting
- Mental confusion, irritability
Newer therapies for Hepatitis C and B are promising higher cure rates than ever before.
For a physician referral, please call 443-777-2475.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
Center for Digestive Disease
9000 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237