MedStar Health offers diagnosis and treatment of many thyroid disorders, including:
- Underactivity of the thyroid
- Overactivity of the thyroid
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid enlargement
- Inflammation of the thyroid
- Cancers of the thyroid
- Approximately 12 million Americans are affected by thyroid disease.
Thyroid diseases occur at least five times more frequently in women than in men.
- As many as ten percent of women over age 65 have an underactive thyroid.
- Thyroid dysfunction complicates between 5 percent and 9 percent of all pregnancies.
- Thyroid nodules are common, but only between 5 and 10 percent of these are cancerous.
Diagnosis and Treatment
MedStar Health physicians work with other specialists to provide complete diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of thyroid cancers. Diagnosis can include thyroid scans and sonograms to evaluate thyroid nodules and enlargement and to detect under or over functioning thyroids. Fine needle biopsies of the thyroid are performed to evaluate benign or malignant growths of the thyroid These conditions can be treated with surgery or by optimizing thyroid hormone therapy or using medications to lessen thyroid gland activity.