At MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center Breast Center, we believe in treating the whole person, not just the disease. Our breast surgeons—all Baltimore magazine “Top Doctors”—carefully evaluate each woman’s diagnosis and, working as a team with other specialists, create a personalized breast cancer treatment plan specially designed to meet her unique needs. If you are a breast cancer patient at MedStar Franklin Square, you can rest assured that you are in the hands of the most skilled and compassionate cancer doctors.
At the Breast Center, we offer support workshops for all of our patients, all of which are focused on providing support to the patient and their family from diagnosis and beyond. We also participate in community outreach programs and captain a team in the Komen Race for the Cure each October.
In addition to breast cancer treatments you would expect such as lumpectomy and mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, we also offer advanced treatment options that you may not find elsewhere including:
• Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT), an innovative one-stop treatment option that makes it possible for select lumpectomy patients to receive the full course of radiation in the operating room immediately after surgery, eliminating the need for follow-up radiation therapy.
• Accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI), an advanced method of internal high-dose radiation used for certain breast cancer patients that targets the tumor site after a partial mastectomy/lumpectomy reducing treatment times from six weeks to five days and eliminating the need for whole breast radiation.
• Tumor molecular profiling to identify the genetic characteristics of a patient’s tumor as well as any unique biomarkers so an evidence-based treatment plan can be developed that may work better for the patient’s tumor profile than traditional treatments for that cancer.
• Targeted therapies, also called biological therapies or biologics, which use medications to weaken or damage specific characteristics of cancer cells to control tumor growth. These therapies are less likely to affect healthy cells, generally resulting in fewer side effects than treatment with chemotherapy.
• Advanced clinical trials that offer new options for effectively treating breast cancer before the treatment is commonly available including two breast cancer trials involving combination immunotherapy with Herceptin and the HER2 vaccine NeuVax.
No woman chooses to have breast cancer. But you do have a choice in how and where to treat it. We specialize in the development of breast cancer treatment plans that are as unique as each patient. Plus, we offer comprehensive breast health services, including clinical trials. From our physicians to our nurse navigator, your healthcare team is devoted to treating your cancer and supporting you during this difficult time.
To schedule an appointment, please call 443-777-6500.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Cancer Institute
9101 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, Maryland 21237
MedStar Health Bel Air Medical Campus
Breast Center at Bel Air
12 MedStar Blvd.
Bel Air, MD 21015
Three-year accreditation - National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers by the American College of Surgeons (2014)
The Breast Center is among only a few centers accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, signifying our commitment to providing the best possible care to patients with diseases of the breast.
Women's Choice Award (2017)
The Breast Center was recognized as a 2017 Women’s Choice Award as one of America’s Best Breast Centers for our ongoing commitment to providing the best possible care to patients with breast cancer.
Learn more from our physicians in the video below:
Learn more about the advanced, personalized treatment options available and our breast cancer experts in the videos below: