Ginny Andreasik, RN, BSN, CBN, patient navigator for bariatric surgery, meets with a patient at MedStar Franklin Square.
Weight loss surgery is, in many ways, the beginning of a personal journey to health. To give patients the greatest change of succeeding, MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center's Bariatric Surgery Program offers a range of pre- and post-surgical support services.
Before being accepted into the program, patients receive nutrition counseling, psychiatric evaluation, and cardiopulmonary testing, where appropriate.
To help patients make the lifestyle changes they need to ensure long-term weight loss, the hospital offers a variety of post-surgical support services, including weight management education, nutrition counseling, cardiac risk reduction services, and a support group led by a health professional experienced in bariatric surgery.
Before your surgery, you will need to follow these guidelines
- Receive preoperative tests and lab work ordered by your surgeon to clear you for surgery.
- Stop smoking or drinking alcohol a minimum of one month prior to surgery.
- Begin a calorie-controlled, high-protein diet two weeks prior to surgery.
- Stop taking aspirin or arthritis medications one week prior to surgery, as they interfere with the clotting of blood, vital for healing after surgery. Please consult your surgeon prior to any medication changes.|
Your surgeon will discuss your individualized postoperative plan. This may include referrals to nutritionists, exercise programs, psychotherapists and/or support groups, and is essential for a successful outcome.
- Eating after surgery
Directly after surgery, will be on a strict liquid diet, transitioning to a soft and then regular diet, as instructed by your doctor. Moving to more solid food will be determined by your own individual progress. After surgery some patients may experience food intolerance and changes in gastrointestinal functions. MedStar Health nutritionists can guide you in planning the appropriate meals and diet.
- Support group
In addition, we offer a free support group for people who have had or are planning to have bariatric surgery. They will receive firsthand information about bariatric surgery and learning from the experiences of others. Spouses, family members, and friends are always welcome. Guest speakers are often invited to provide information on topics of nutrition, supplements, exercise, and behavior modification. The meetings are conducted in a comfortable and informal manner with time for questions and open discussions.
Meetings take place the third Wednesday of every month. Please call 443-777-7900 to register.
Following surgery, members of our bariatric team will be available to answer questions you have regarding:
- Navigating social activities (eating at restaurants, drinking alcohol)
- Physical activity and exercise
- Plastic surgery
- Returning to work
- Weight loss plateaus
To register for a free education seminar, please call 443-777-7900.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
9000 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237
MedStar Health Bel Air Medical Campus
12 MedStar Blvd.
Bel Air, MD 21015
Learn more about our education seminar.
- Bariatric Surgery
- Why Choose the MedStar Franklin Square Bariatric Program
- Bariatric Surgery Program
- Nutrition Education Center