Christopher You, MD, board-certified bariatric surgeon, with the da Vinci® Surgical System. Dr. You is co-medical director of the comprehensive Robotic Surgery Program at MedStar Franklin Square.
Our bariatric program teams work with each patient to develop a weight loss strategy and choose the surgery that is right for them. Each recommendation is made on a case-by-case basis, with the patient's weight loss needs and their overall lifestyle in mind. As with any surgical procedure, potential risks and complications can occur with weight loss surgery. We're committed to providing you with the information you need to make a well-informed decision about your surgery.
We know that pursuing a surgical solution for weight loss is a serious decision and want to ensure that you are an ideal candidate for the surgery. To us, this means you
- Have been overweight for more than five years
- Have seriously tried other diets
- Do not have untreated medical conditions that could be causing obesity
- Show evidence of weight loss in our preoperative weight management program
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of
- 35 or more with at least one weight-related medical condition
- 40 or more with no weight-related medical condition
- Are at least 18 years old
Additionally, you must be
- Committed to a major lifestyle change
- Healthy enough to undergo a major operation
- Free of unstable psychiatric issues
- Free from alcohol, tobacco, or substance abuse
Preparation for Your Appointment
In preparing for an appointment with a MedStar Franklin Square bariatric surgery team, be sure to:
- Attend our information seminar. This is a free service and mandatory for those entering the program.
- Obtain a referral (if necessary) from your primary care physician.
- Bring your documentation. If you attended any weight management programs in the past two years, bring that documentation for your initial consultation.
- Review our Patient Forms and Passport information
Meet board-certified surgeon Christopher You, MD and learn about the Bariatric Program at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center in the video below:
To register for a free education seminar, please call 443-777-7900.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
White Square Building
9105 Franklin Square Drive
Suites 305 and 307
Baltimore, MD 21237
MedStar Health Bel Air Medical Campus
12 MedStar Blvd.
Bel Air, MD 21015
Learn more about our education seminar.
- Bariatric Surgery
- Why Choose the MedStar Franklin Square Bariatric Program