Bariatric Surgery Treatments at MedStar Franklin Square in Baltimore
Christopher You, MD, board-certified bariatric surgeon and medical director of the Bariatric Program at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center. At MedStar Franklin Square, we focus on helping you achieve your goals, improve your health and maximize your quality of life. You can do this.
It's not just about losing weight. It's about regaining your health. It's a chance to say goodbye to high cholesterol, diabetes, sleep apnea, and joint problems. It’s about a better quality of life for your future.
From valuable pre-surgery education and weight loss strategies customized for you, to an accessible team of professionals and support through your recovery, MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center helps you establish a path toward healthy living that can benefit your entire family.
We offer a patient navigator, Ginny Andreasik, RN, BSN, CBN, to help you on your weight loss journey. Ginny can explain the different surgical options and help prepare you for your upcoming surgery. A Certified Bariatric Nurse, or CBN, Ginny is one of 1,700 registered nurses in the United States who also holds a certificate from ASMBS’ Certified Bariatric Nurse program, indicating specialized training for the delivery of quality patient care for bariatric surgery patients.
MedStar Franklin Square’s bariatric program has multiple steps: educational seminar, pre-surgery, surgery, and post-surgery. Surgery may get the most attention, but the presurgical and postsurgical periods are crucial to the success of the operation and your continuing health.
- Educational seminar: There is a mandatory education seminar for all interested in learning about the different options for bariatric surgery and determining if you are a candidate. Presentations on topics such as diet, nutrition, and behavior modifications are provided by the bariatric team. A physician is on hand to discuss procedures and to answer all your questions. Support members are invited to attend as well. See seminar dates and times. Preoperative weight management program: You begin with a monitored weight loss program. This lasts three to six months, depending on your previous documented weight management and your insurance requirements. You must have evidence of weight loss during this period to undergo the surgery.
- Surgery: Following successful completion of the weight management program, you undergo the bariatric surgery operation. Learn more about the types of bariatric surgery.
- Follow-up: This is the most important step. We are committed to follow-up care with you for at least five years, but ideally the rest of your life. It is important to monitor your weight loss, your diet, and overall health.
Learn More about Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery
- About Our Bariatric Surgery Center
- Types of Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery Candidacy
- Bariatric Surgery FAQs
- Pre- and Post Surgical Support
- Bariatric Classes
To register for a free education seminar, please call 443-777-7900.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
White Square Building
9105 Franklin Square Drive
Suites 305 and 307
Baltimore, MD 21237
MedStar Health Bel Air Medical Campus
12 MedStar Blvd.
Bel Air, MD 21015
Learn more about our education seminar.