MedStar Franklin Square provides comprehensive, technology-based surgical services, offering the latest, most innovative treatment for patients with a wide range of medical conditions. Other distinguished specialty service lines include: medicine, oncology, cardiology, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, neonatal intensive care, behavioral health, neurosurgery, and ambulatory services.
Our $70 million surgical pavilion was completed during the final months of FY 2020 and houses 14 operating suites, pre/post-operative recovery areas, a state-of-the-art sterile processing center, and several associate support spaces, all designed to optimize surgical processes, quality of care, safety, and patient outcomes. This pavilion caps the $300 million campus modernization strategy that was developed over ten years ago.
The second half of the fiscal year saw the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the global healthcare crisis had a significant impact on care delivery nationally and locally, MedStar Health and specifically MedStar Franklin Square remained operational to continue to provide care to our patients. While some programs and elective procedures were paused and visitor restrictions implemented, MedStar Franklin Square was still able to deliver care, of the highest quality, in a safe environment to the members of our community who required immediate medical attention. At the same time, care was provided to those patients who demonstrated signs, symptoms, or were suspected of having COVID-19.
Accredited by the Joint Commission, MedStar Franklin Square is certified as a Primary Stroke Center and is working on expanding into a Comprehensive Stroke Center and Comprehensive Neurovascular Center. We are proud to have earned some of the region and nation’s most prestigious honors and accolades, including:
- Magnet Designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for excellence in nursing. This four-year designation was awarded in 2018, 2013, and 2008.
- The American Health Association's "Mission: Lifeline® - STEMI Receiving Center" Gold Award.
- Women’s Choice Award® for being one of America’s Best Hospitals in Breast Care.
- The American Health Association/American Stroke Association’s “Get with the Guidelines®” Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award.
- The Cribs for Kids® National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification.
- Baltimore magazine recognized 87 MedStar Health physicians as “Top Doctors” in November 2020.
- Maryland Patient Safety Center's Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Center of Excellence Award.
- Nurse Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) Senior Friendly.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is recognized as one of the largest employers in Baltimore County. MedStar Franklin Square continuously invests in community health and wellness initiatives. We also continually invest in community health and wellness initiatives. In 2019, more than $44.6 million was allocated to community benefit programs.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center Facts
|Fiscal Year 2020 Statistics|
|Number of Licensed Beds||338|
|Total Number of Physicians||769|
|Number of Nurses||1,098|
|Number of Associates||2,488|
|Annual Emergency Department Visits||65,825|
|Annual Surgeries (excluding clinical)||17,478|
|Annual Baby Deliveries||2,276|
- Angelos Center for Lung Diseases
- Bariatric Surgery Center
- Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Program
- The Breast Center
- Center for Digestive Disease
- Center for Gynecologic Oncology
- Center for Neurology
- Center for Neurosurgery
- The CyberKnife® Center
- Diabetes & Nutrition Education Center
- Liver Evaluation Clinic - MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute
- The Maryland Melanoma Center
- The Maternal-Fetal Medicine Center
- MedStar Health Cancer Network
- MedStar Orthopaedics Institute
- The National Center for Bone & Soft Tissue Tumors
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Primary Stroke Center
- Women's Health Center