Prompt, Compassionate Care From Start to Finish
Perianesthesia Services is comprised of the Preadmission Testing area, the Ambulatory Surgery Center (pre and post op), and the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU). Our patient population spans from neonates to geriatrics. Approximately 70% are outpatients and 30% have an inpatient stay. Our staff provides high quality nursing care, education and support services for patients having surgical and endoscopic procedures. Types of surgical patients cared for are colorectal, general, maxillofacial, neurosurgery, oncology, ophthalmology, orthopedic and hand, otolaryngology, pediatric, plastic, podiatry, thoracic, urology, and vascular. In addition elective cardio version procedures are performed in the PACU by MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center cardiology staff supported by the Anesthesia Department and PACU RN staff.
The PACU consists of a 10-bay Phase 1 Post Anesthesia Care Unit in the Ambulatory Surgery Center and a 17-bay Phase 1 Post Anesthesia Care Unit, which include 1 isolation room, adjoining the Main Inpatient Operating Room. Hours of Operation are 24/7/365 with staff present Monday 0700 through Saturday 0700. RN staff is on call for emergencies from Saturday 0700 to Monday 0700 and for 24 hours from 2300-2300 on holidays.
Our Promise to Our Patients
- We will be the surgical and diagnostic procedure center of choice.
- Our patients will have the best experience possible from pre-op preparation to follow-up phone calls after discharge.
- Our patients and families will be well prepared and know what to expect throughout the entire peri-operative process.
- We will ensure a seamless patient flow without delays throughout the process.
- We will keep families informed of patient status for the duration of their stay and reunite them with their loved ones as soon as possible.
- We will anticipate and meet the patient's comfort and personal needs in a timely manner.
- We will discharge patients and families with the knowledge and resources they need to continue their care and recovery at home.
- Our patients and families will return to MedStar Franklin Square for future needs and recommend our services to others.