Nurturing and Growing our Littlest Patients Towards a Promising Future
The NICU provides a full spectrum of Neonatal services to approximately 2,800 delivering mothers per year. A Neonatologist or a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner is always present in all high risk deliveries and is ready to perform highly skilled resuscitation if needed. Overall, approximately 11% of all newborns need to be admitted to a neonatal intensive care unit for specialized care and the NICU at MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center has approximately 340 admissions per year. The NICU team is made up of Neonatologists, Neonatal Nurse Practitioners and Neonatal Registered Nurses that collaborate with Respiratory Therapists, Occupational/Physical Therapists, Pharmacists, Nutritionists, and Social Workers who are specially trained in Neonatal Care.
The MedStar Franklin Square NICU is accredited as a level IIII NICU by MIEMSS; we are also accredited as a level III Perinatal Referral Center. MedStar Franklin Square has the capability of providing complicated and uncomplicated neonatal care through state-0f-the-art technology, written standards, protocols and guidelines to newborns with transitional problems, critically ill, or born too early. For pediatric specialties - Surgery, Cardiology, Neurology, Genetics, Hematology, Gastroenterology, Ophthalmology, and Anesthesia we have coverage and/or arrangements coordinated directly by the NICU medical team.
Our Promise to Our Patients
- We will provide family centered developmentally appropriate care to every patient, which supports the physiologic and psychological needs of the family unit.
- We will utilize a team approach to provide individualized care to ensure optimal outcomes.
- We will be recognized as the premier provider of healthcare for acutely ill neonates in our community.
- We will support our families in assuming the role of parents through education and by placing emphasis on the value of the family unit.
- We believe in the growth and development of staff by providing and seeking out educational opportunities.