Provision of High Quality, Compassionate Care from Pre-procedure Preparation through Recovery for a Wide Variety of Endovascular and Invasive Imaging Procedures
The Imaging Department is comprised of the Cardiac Cath Lab. Interventional Radiology, Ultrasound, Diagnostic Radiology, and the Imaging Recovery Unit (IRU).
Care begins with preparing, assessing and educating patients, ranging in age from neonate through geriatrics, in the 8-bed IRU. Next, the imaging nurse provides care for the patient during their test or procedure. Immediately post-procedure, the patient is monitored and assessed once again in the IRU. Prior to discharge home or transfer to either an inpatient bed or another facility, post procedure education is provided to the patient and/or family.
Tests and procedures performed in the MedStar Franklin Square Imaging Department include:
- Cardiac Cath Lab - diagnostic cardiac caths (left and/or right heart), emergency coronary interventions, IABP insertion, temporary pacemaker insertions, pericardiocentesis, electrophysiology studies, ablations, device implants (pacemakers, ICDs)
- Interventional Radiology - lumbar punctures, myelography, central line placement, hemodialysis access, arterial embolization, nephrostomy tube insertion, biliary tube insertion, G-J tube insertion, and angiography
- Ultrasound - paracentesis, thoracentesis, ultrasound guided biopsies
- CT - CT guided biopsies, abscess drainages, contrast injections
- MRI - contrast injections
- Diagnostic Radiology - voiding cystograms
- Additional Vascular and Cardiac procedures - tilt table tests, dobutamine stress tests, TEEs (with or without cardioversion)
Our patients are 60% outpatient and 40% inpatient. Hours of operation for the IRU are Monday - Friday 6 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Hours of operation for the Imaging testing area are Monday - Friday 7 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. 24/7 on-call coverage is provided for emergency procedures during non-operational hours.
Our Promise to Our Patients
- Our patients will have the best experience possible from pre-procedure preparation through recovery.
Out patients and families will be well-prepared and know what to expect throughout their experience in our department.
- We will be their imaging procedure center of choice.
- We will ensure a seamless flow without delays throughout the patient experience.
- We will keep families informed of patient status for the duration of the procedure.
- We will anticipate and provide for the patient's comfort and privacy needs.