Safe, Efficient, Compassionate Care: Every Patient, Every Time
Learn more about the Patient Care Tower.
The department of Emergency Medicine provides emergency healthcare services 24-hours/day, 7days/week to patients of all ages. The department is responsible for immediate treatment of any medical or surgical emergencies, and for performing life saving procedures for various types of emergency situations. The ED provides care for other conditions including acute and chronic medical problems, minor injuries or illnesses, and patients with mental illness. MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is also a designated hazardous materials management facility.
A crisis intervention service (CIS), developed and directed by the department of Psychiatry, is staffed 24 hours/day, seven days a week. All CIS staff is masters prepared. There is a psychiatrist on call 24 hours/day. Patients requiring specialized care are transferred to specialty referral centers as needed.
The ED is involved in the provision of emergency health care in the community. This is achieved by active participation with Baltimore County EMS and representation on the Regional Emergency Medical Services Council.
Patient care is provided using an interdisciplinary approach involving nursing, ED Physician staff, PA's, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Radiology, Case Management, Social Work, Registration, CIS team, Respiratory therapy, and medical staff from all disciplines in the organization. Together we coordinate and manage the care of patients from the point of registration to disposition, whether that is discharge, admission or transfer to a higher level of care.
Our Promise to Our Patients
- We will be recognized by our community for excellent patient-centered care delivered in a timely manner by a dedicated, clinically competent team of health care providers.
- We will be the Emergency Department of choice for all our customers.
- We will be seen by health care providers as an employer of choice offering a team spirit, educational opportunities and professional growth.
- We will continue to enlist technologies to meet the needs of our growing community.
- We will maximize our environment through the creative expansion of our current resources and space.
- Our patients will consistently feel respected, valued and confident in the care they receive.
- We will become a Magnet Emergency Department while remaining one the busiest emergency departments in the state of Maryland.