Use the arrows above to view a slideshow of our volunteers in action throughout the hospital.
Our volunteers do make a difference!
Learn more about the application process.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center is privileged to have over 400 active volunteers on board today. These dedicated volunteers work throughout the hospital in both patient care areas and behind the scenes to support patients, visitors, and hospital staff. They bring sunshine to every area on campus by supporting, listening, and caring. They lend their knowledge, skills, and talent to strengthen our incredible customer service to the highest levels.
What opportunities are available for adults?
- Patient Support Roles: This role might include safety monitoring, patient transport or to assist our clinical staff with general duties.
- Administrative Support Roles: This role might include organizing handouts, stuffing envelopes, faxing or making copies.
- Auxiliary Gift Shop or Thrift Store: Assist with the daily operations and customer service in these retail settings.
- Greeter or Receptionist: Greet visitors, help assign badges and directions.
- HALO Program: For ex-healthcare professions only.
- Pastoral Care Team Roles: Eucharistic Ministers offer Holy Communion, prayers, and emotional support to support patients and their families. Retired clergy are also invited to consider serving as a volunteer chaplain. Educational and ecclesial qualifications apply.
- Help From Home: If you can crochet or knit, you are invited to participate in the spiritual care of patients by creating Prayer Shawls.
Most opportunities are during regular business hours, Monday through Fridays.
What about high school students?
We host an active summer program for high school students with many similar opportunities as the adults. Our space for this program is limited and applications are available on the first Monday in February. Please call our office for further details of the program at 443-777-7240.
I’m interested, now what?
Contact Volunteer Services at 443-777-7240. The process to become a volunteer includes an application process, an information session, and completion of our mandatory requirements listed below.
Mandatory requirements include:
- Completing an application, including two written references
- Completing a TB test (provided at no charge)
- Receiving documentation of an annual flu vaccine (provided at no charge)
- Completing an annual mandatory orientation session
- Universal Background Screening (provided at no charge)
Benefits of volunteering include:
- Your personal satisfaction of helping people
- Being part of a warm, welcoming, friendly team
- Volunteer polo shirt or blue jacket provided
- Our quarterly newsletter with new events and information
- Free parking is provided
- Acknowledgement for your service
Interested in volunteering?
If you can commit to at least four hours a week for at least four months, contact the Volunteer Services at 443-777-7240 or [email protected]. To register, print an application and send the completed application with your two reference letters either by mailing, scanning and emailing or faxing.
MedStar Franklin Square Volunteer Services
9000 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237